EarlGrey Black Tea Mask from My Fav Recipe By Neula - review

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Hello, Dolls & Gents,

Here is an in-depth review of the Earlgrey Black Tea Gel Mask from the My Fav Recipe by Neula collection.

For starters, I have purchased only one mask. After trying this one, I can say that I am looking forward to trying all the masks in the range.

Previously, I had reviewed all of my favorite masks from the Freeman Beauty collection, and I intend to do the same for My Fav Recipes by Neula.


The product claims to brighten the face with ‘every application’, exfoliate dead skin and also hydrate the skin. Now, what do I think of it?

Here is a drugstore mask, marketed at a reasonable price… promising a luxurious experience. And I will say that it doesn’t get better than that.

To be honest, after I saw the packaging, for some reason I believed the mask was homemade and edible. However, it is not! It contains quite a load of chemicals and I was cautious about an allergic reaction. The ingredients list is super lengthy and terrifying.


So I decided to research every single one of these ingredients. Most of them are skin conditioning agents, meant for packing in fat underneath the skin for moisture retention. Meanwhile, others only fulfill the purpose of maintaining a gel-like consistency. The extracts of fruits and herbs function as anti-oxidants, which is meant to provide a brighter complexion. Meanwhile, I also spot Sodium Hydroxide, an agent that maintains the products PH levels and also acts as a cleansing agent. There is no mention of the percentage of the ingredients used. Hence, we will have to keep our fingers crossed that they kept the Sodium Hydroxide levels to a minimum. I can spot no PARABENS mentioned among the ingredients, and that is already a plus point in my book.

Barely anything is natural in this mask. So, if you prefer the more natural route of skin care, this mask might not be the one for you.

However, I am a firm believer that the chemical route does some good for the skin.

This rinse-off gel mask is super fluid and spreads easily. The consistency is firm (isn’t runny throughout the whole 10-15 minutes waiting time). It also has PEG-60 hydrogenated castor oil for easy and quick rinsing.   


Although the gel claims to exfoliate using the black sugar found in the product, I dare say that there is hardly enough granules to scrub off dead skin… which leads me to believe that the product exfoliates chemically, although I can’t seem to identify the exfoliating ingredient. So exfoliation could be just a myth for this product.

The mild and fresh smell of Earlgrey is quite tolerable and lovely. After application, you only catch a whiff of the mask every now and then.

When the mask is kept in the fridge, the icy cold sensation is quite enjoyable and instantly acts as cold therapy. Which is why I absolutely love this product.

But I won’t claim that I can observe much of a drastic change in the brightness of my skin. I sense that the cold therapy magically makes my skin appear alive, lifted and plumped, but not bright.

I definitely agree that this mask hydrates the skin like no other. Because even after rinsing the product off, I can feel quite a bit of moisture packed underneath the skin. So if you have dry skin, this will be even better for you.  

Despite the hits and misses for this product, I feel that I will be re-purchasing it. Its value is too good to be ignored, and I can see myself running through jars and jars of this mask, just to pack in some hydration and give myself a bit of cold therapy either every morning or right before bed.

Thank you so much for reading this post, and I shall see you on the next one. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

newer older Home